In Search of the Perfect Pout

Leave a Comment
I love makeup. Ask anyone! Well ok maybe not anyone in the whole world but anyone who knows me. My friends, family, flatmates they'll all tell you the same: that yes I do...maybe a little bit too much...

One of the makeup items I love the most is lipstick. Don't ask me why, I just do. However there seems to be some sort of science to choosing what lipstick to wear. One of my friends told me she only ever needs two; a red and a neutral. However if anyone has seen my lipstick drawer then they know I clearly do not share in this minimalist approach. Another one of my friends never chooses her lipstick until she has done her eye makeup. Although I agree with this philosophy to a point I'm not that bothered if they match perfectly so long as I don't look like a drag queen or an explosion in a colour factory!

Lipsticks
My lipstick drawer

I realise that I'm making this sound like a big issue. I will admit that this is not on par with say, choosing which wire to cut to disarm a bomb, or being the leader of a country. Those both involve far more important decisions. However the right lipstick can make the difference between being fabulous and sexy and looking like you got ready in the dark...without a mirror...when you're colour blind.

Personally, how I'm feeling largely dictates which lipstick I choose. At the minute, after feeling like I've spent months in hibernation during the depths of winter, I'm ready for a bit of summer (and it seems like at least half the time the weather is agreeing with me). As a result of this summery feeling my lipstick choices are becoming summery too!

So, while I've been leaving the house in optimistically short skirts and bare legs, debating if the weather really is nice enough to leave my jacket at home (then deciding halfway through the day I'm too cold and coming back to get it) my lipstick has been one of the following three bright combinations:

Maybelline Colour Sensational in Shocking Coral


Maybelline Colour Sensational
Looks slightly orangey in this photo - be kind I'm new to this!

I've seen this colour recommended by so many beauty youtubers and bloggers and every time I've walked past the makeup counters I've stopped to look at the tester and gone "Oh no thats so not the colour I thought it was!" and admittedly in the tube it does look like the colour favoured by my Nana. However after much coaxing I took the plunge and never looked back. Actually wearing it rather than staring at it the colour becomes much more flattering and vibrant coral/pink (not grannyish don't worry) and as a result is the perfect summer colour!

Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple


Revlon Lip Butter
More sheer than it looks, promise!

I've been really liking this colour for more understated lips recently, which is something I don't do very often as 'understated' is not really a word that can be used to describe me. However this adds a slight orangey toned red hue to the lips and also makes me look slightly more tanned (a feat all on its own).

Rimmel Apocalips Lip Laquer in Big Bang


Rimmel Apocalips Lip Laquer
Excuse my chipped nails!

This is not a lipstick for the faint hearted! As it comes in like a gloss form I would say you have to be really careful to make sure you don't go too far outside your lip line or it will genuinely look like you've been bleeding from the mouth (attractive!). I prefer to blot this after I've applied it anyway because it brings out the orangey tones in the red (yes there is a theme developing!). Blotting will also help to prevent the colour bleeding and keep your lipstick from leaving large red rings marking your territory on every glass you drink out of. 

Below are swatches on my hand of all three colours:

L-R: Candy Apple, Big Bang, Shocking Coral

What's your favourite lipstick at the minute???

0 comments:

Post a Comment